Sunday, January 29, 2012

Yesterday was a 'rest' day and i just did a 23 minute spin to keep the legs loose.

Today was a 4 mile run. I woke up with a lot of sciatic pain in my right rear side so i tried stretching and trying to open my spine to ease the pain. By the afternoon it was improved so i decided to venture to the outdoors, since it had warmed up to 40 degrees.
 I went to the track at Copper Hills High School and tried to see how far i could run without walking breaks. This track has 8 lanes and i was the only one down there, so i decided to go 8 laps, (2 miles) in one direction and then turn and do the second 8 laps in the opposite direction. I had been running only on the treadmill since November and this was first time outside in two months and it was a struggle. With the first 4 steps i realize how much training i still had ahead of me and needed to do more of it on firm ground.

 At the end of the first mile, 11:50 pace, I allowed myself a one minute walking break, at the end of mile 2, 11:30 pace, I allowed myself another 1 minute walk break, mile 3 was 11:40, but i did not take a walk break this time and mile 4 was somewhere between 11:00 and 12:00 minutes, unfortunately i forgot to check the seconds, but i think it was closer to 12:00 minutes.
  I am glad i got to get an outdoors run in, but in three weeks i have a 5 mile terrain run and it is not looking pretty.

Week 2 of half marathon training for the Salt Lake City Half Marathon is Done!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Good job! you are doing awesome!!!! the 5 miler in a few weeks will be a piece of cake! i know you can do it.. proud of you for waiting for the right time to run, and stretching it out first and not giving up for the day!!!
    keep up the posts. it is great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen!! But if i don't quit eating cake, i am not going to be running very strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well you have a point there.. dont have cake in the house!

    ReplyDelete