Saturday, April 21, 2012


I am being lazy tonite and copied this from my daily mile post - so if you read it there, it's the same sad info!!

I am hoping this one goes in the books as my worst Half Marathon.
We started just before sunrise - a beautiful start to a beautiful day here in Utah.
I even kept pace with a great encouraging 2:30 pacer for 4 miles. Then the Gatorade i was sipping started giving me stomach problems and i had to slow way down so as not to regurgitate it back up. Plunked along for 2 miles then somewhere during mile 7 those painful calve cramps reared up. For mile 7 and 8 i fought them. Walking, stretching, massaging, running slowly, but with every run they froze up my legs in about 90 seconds. I battled with them for those 2 miles, then i came to the realization, there was no way i could even break 3:00 with miles of walking ahead- darn it. I then accepted the opportunity to finish the Salt Lake Half, and get the same medal no matter what my time. I have never walked through a finish chute, but i did today. But i still made it to the Finish Line.
I have a lot of research and experimenting to do to prevent this from happening again. I suffered through many bottles of Coconut Water this week, that was not the solution. I am going to find one though!!
Positives: It was fun when my calves weren't screaming and i got a finisher's medal. I got to meetAlison T. who drove us today, Thanks again!! And I have spent a lot of time hanging with Gina H.this weekend!! So it was a good day!
Happy Weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. First and foremost.. Congratualations for FINISHING!! that is awesome that you kept going despite drawbacks!! you didnt quit! and that is a wonderful accomplishment. maybe you just started out to fast. doesnt matter.. you did it, which is more than a lot of people, myself included could say.. you have done 2 now!!!! that is awesome
    you will figure out what works for you!!! hang in there and recover!!!

    ReplyDelete